Twitter fixes security issue over Android devices’ vulnerability

Twitter fixes security issue over Android devices’ vulnerability

by Pranali Mehta
"

The current digital era is remnant of people living out a substantial portion of their lives on social media. Social networking companies like Facebook, Twitter, etc., on that note, have been safeguarding their customers’ private data by employing various security methods.

However, the security of these platforms can still be dependent on the external factors including the platform used, other apps installed by the users, amongst others, which the app maker may not have a chance to supervise.

In one such case, Twitter Inc has reportedly announced that it had patched a security problem that would have allowed hackers to access some Android users’ private Twitter data, including messages.

The micro-blogging site said it didn’t know if attackers exploited the issue of security and that it patched the Android version of Twitter so that other apps couldn’t access its information. Twitter added that it was an underlying security problem for Android and was not a hack, breach, or other recent incidents of security.

According to sources familiar with the knowledge of the matter, 96% of Twitter users for Android already have the security patch installed to protect them against this vulnerability. For the other 4%, this vulnerability may allow an attacker, via a malicious app that is installed on the device, to use the permissions of Android’s system to access private Twitter data such as Direct Messages.

The platform has asked its users to upgrade the android app on all their devices to the latest version.

Earlier in mid-June, hackers breached Twitter’s internal system and took control over some popular accounts. The list included US presidential candidate Joe Biden, former American President Barack Obama, reality TV star Kim Kardashian, and billionaire Elon Musk. The hackers’ post requested donations in the cryptocurrency made them about USD 110,000 in the scam’s active time period.

Source Credit – https://privacy.twitter.com/en/blog/2020/twitter-for-android-security-vulnerability

"

Pranali Mehta

A chemical engineer by qualification, Pranali Mehta dutifully walked down the slated path and worked in a chemical firm for a year. Her passion for writing however, pushed her into experimenting with the same as a career. With over three years of experience in content writRead more...