Lack of new eco-petrol compatibility data leaves UK motorists confused

Lack of new eco-petrol compatibility data leaves UK motorists confused

by Pranali Mehta

The UK is reportedly introducing a more eco-friendly petrol to British filling stations starting September 2021, leaving a quarter of motorists in the fog regarding the compatibility of their vehicles with the new fuel mix, claims a new research.

According to reports, the government aims to launch E10 as the new standard petrol grade in the country. The fuel contains lesser proportion of carbon as compared to other motor fuels and a higher proportion of ethanol, which is a kind of alcohol produced from plants.

According to the Department for Transport, the introduction of E10 could bring down carbon emissions by 750,000 tons a year. This is an equivalent of pulling 350,000 cars off the road and a significant step towards the climate change targets of the government.

The new fuel is being introduced in all parts of the United Kingdom except Northern Ireland, where it is not due to come up until early 2022. While every petrol vehicle manufactured after the year 2011 should be accepting E10, the fuel is less likely to be compatible with a few older vehicles. The number amounts to almost 600,000 of those presently on UK roads.

As per the RAC, almost 24% of motorists are unaware of the new petrol grade, while the number of motorists not knowing whether their car is compatible is 27%. E5, the existing petrol grades in the United Kingdom contain up to 5% ethanol, with the remaining 95% being regular unleaded petrol.

E10, their replacement, will witness this percentage escalated to 10%. The proportion would bring the United Kingdom in line with nations such as France, Belgium, Germany, and Finland.

As per Nicholas Lyes, RAC Head of Policy, E10 petrol has already begun appearing on forecourts for the replacement of the old E5 blend and the process is set to continue at pace in the upcoming weeks. Lyes further stated that while it would not be making difference to the extensive majority of petrol car drivers, a considerable minority would be adversely impacted.

Source credit: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58398606

Pranali Mehta

A chemical engineer by qualification, Pranali Mehta dutifully walked down the slated path and worked in a chemical firm for a year. Her passion for writing however, pushed her into experimenting with the same as a career. With over three years of experience in content writRead more...